Published on March 15, 2014 by Susan Krauss Whitbourne, Ph.D. in Fulfillment at Any Age
1. Wants to spend time with you. Wanting to invest time into your relationship is a key indicator of successful long-term intimacy.
2. Asks about your day. Couples build their love for each other not necessarily on the ethereal, but on the practical supports that keep communication routes open.
3. Trusts you. Partners who truly care about you will give you the benefit of the doubt.
4. Helps you when you need it.
5. Shows respect for your views. The key feature is not what your beliefs are, though, but how open you can be to accepting your partner’s perspective as valid.
6. Includes you in decisions.
7. Shows affection. Couples don’t have to engage in frequent sex, or even any sex at all, to be emotionally intimate. However, showing some sign of physical closeness suggests that your partner feels a vital connection to you.
8. Looks at you. The nonverbal cues that partners share with each other reveal their deeper feelings.
9. Likes to talk about the past. Couples who spend time reliving their enjoyable moments from the past, and do so in a positive and supportive way, can strengthen their ties in the present and future.
10. Is willing to go to bat for you and your relationship.
11. Makes you feel good about yourself. A partner who truly cares about you boosts your self-esteem and sense of identity. If nothing else, being with someone who makes you feel valued provides you with strong positive reinforcement. We want to be with people who make us feel good.
There’s no set number of these 11 that would indicate whether a specific partner hits above or below the threshold for truly loving you. However, with these signs as a guide, you can gain insight into your relationship’s strengths and weaknesses and from there, address the areas of weakness. At the same time, if you want your partner to feel truly loved, ask yourself honestly how you would rate on these 11 indicators. Perhaps it’s time for you not only to count the ways that you’re loved, but the ways that you show your love.
*Personally, these 11 signs are not only applied for romantic relationships but for any important relationships in our life, especially the family-relationships. We are so busy to live our life that sometimes we forget how to love our beloved people.